AS THE PAGE TITLE  INFERS , THIS PAGE WILL DEAL WITH  THE R . N A . S

IN THE GREAT WAR , FROM THE WELL KNOWN , AS IN ITS AIRCRAFT,

AND THE LESSER KNOWN I.E " SQUADRON 20 R N A S , AND THEIR WORK,

ON THE DEVELOPMENT OF ARMOURED CARS AND " LANDSHIPS (TANKS TO THE UNINITIATED)

The Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS) was the air arm of the Royal Navy, under the direction of the Admiralty's Air Department, and existed formally from 1 July 1914 to 1 April 1918, when it was merged with the British Army's Royal Flying Corps to form a new service, the Royal Air Force, the first of its kind in the world.

AND TO START THE BALL ROLLING WE WILL START,

WITH  P836 ROLAND.CLARKE UPTON  ,

PETTY OFFICER MECHANIC

R N A S  ARMOURED CAR SECTION,

BELOW ARE HIS TRIO OF MEDALS ,

AND 2 IMAGES TAKEN FROM HIS SERVICE PAPERS

ABOVE IS AN IMAGE OF ,

AN   .R .N A. S .  ARMOURED CAR MADE  FROM  A WHITE METAL KIT.


2 IMAGES OF THE RNAS ARMOURED CAR SECTION,

ON THE LEFT  GRAPPLING TURKISH BARBED WIRE DEFENCES

AND BELOW RIGHT A NEWSPAPER PHOTO FROM THAT PERIOD

BOTH GALLIPOLI  IMAGES

 


THE NEXT   SET OF IMAGES BELOW ARE  IMAGES OF A SOPWITH TABLOID SEAPLANE ,

GETTING AIRBOURNE  at Yantlet Creek  which runs  from the Medway to the Thames. The Creek was filled up, and had a road across it for 40 years until 1823, when the Lord Mayor ordered it to be again reopened, so as to give about eight feet navigation for barges at spring tide



THE IMAGE IS A   WATERCOLOUR ON  THICK CARD,

AND THE FIRST SHOWS ,

WRITTEN ON THE PAINTING  AT THE BOTTOM RIGHT ,


"SOPWITH TABLOID  EXPERIMENTAL 10 R N A S  IS OF GRAIN KENT"

            "THE HOOK"                                           "  1915                                      REF EASTCHURCH SHORT BROs "

THE IMAGE BELOW  SHOWS THE WRITING IN ,

                    BETTER DETAIL

THE IMAGE BELOW SHOWS A  PROTOTYPE  HOOK  ATTACHMENT

                                                  POINT ,

                                          ON THE TOP WING

THE PHOTOGRAPH BELOW SHOWS A SEAPLANE BEING  WINCHED ABOARD A ROYAL NAVY WARSHIP,

   BEARING IN MIND THESE WERE THE DAYS BEFORE AIRCRAFT CARRIERS AS WE KNOW THEM,

    THIS WAS THE ONLY WAY TO  RECOVER THE AIRCRAFT AFTER IT LANDED  ON THE SEA,

    THE  PHOTO BELOW AND RIGHT  IS TAKEN FROM THE BACK OF THE PAINTING ,

      AND SHOWS THE RELEVENT DETAILS  OF THE AIRCRAFT CONCERNED AS WRITTEN DOWN BY THE ARTIST?


THE POST CARD ON THE LEFT IS AN ORIGINAL,

PERIOD ONE SHOWING AN EARLY EXAMPLE,

OF AN    .R. .N .A. S 

ARMOURED CAR,

 

THE POST CARD BELOW SHOWS THE KING,

INSPECTING    .R .N .A .S OFFICERS,

AND IS FROM A SERIES RUN BY THE DAILY MAIL,

NEWSPAPER

ON THE LEFT  IS AN INTERESTING PERIOD POST CARD,

AND SHOWS A DIFFERENT SIDE OF WAR,,

NO OTHER WORDS NEEDED!

TO THE RIGHT, AND BELOW,

ARE 2 IMAGES,

OF  A VERY RARE ,

SWEETHEART BROOCH,

FEATURING

THE R N A S  ARMOURED CAR SECTION WHICH  WAS ONLY IN EXISTANCE FROM ,

NOV 1914,

TO THE SUMMER OF 1915

THE DIMENSIONS OF THE BROOCH ARE AS   FOLLOWS,

APROXIMATELY ,

3.5 CMS FROM  TOP TO BOTTOM,

AND,

3.00  CMS ACCROSS THE MIDDLE

The RNAS engaged in interservice rivalry on land as well as in the air, possessing for a time the UK's only mechanised land forces in the form of the RNAS Armoured Car Section made up of squadrons of Rolls-Royce Armoured Cars. Commanded by Commander Charles Samson, the section was originally equipped with unarmoured touring cars and intended to provide line of communications security and to pick up aircrew who had been forced to land in hostile territory. Samson saw the possibilities when he armed one vehicle with a Maxim gun and ambushed a German car near Cassel on 4 September 1914. He then had a shipbuilders in Dunkirk add boilerplate to his Rolls Royce and Mercedes vehicles. The new armoured car squadrons were soon used to great effect forming part of Naval mechanised raiding columns against the Germans. By November 1914 the Section had become the Royal Naval Armoured Car Division (RNACD) eventually expanding to 20 squadrons. As trench warfare developed, the armoured cars could no longer operate on the Western Front and were redeployed to other theatres including the Middle East, Romania and Russia. In the summer of 1915 the RNACD was disbanded